Our recommendations can be grouped under four broad themes: leadership, formal organizational supports, communication, and team.
- Leadership: encompasses the roles of all levels of leadership. HCPs expressed that they do not feel adequately supported and acknowledged by their leadership for the work that they do.
- Formal organizational supports: addresses HCP concerns regarding higher level decision-making surrounding topics like benefits, policies, and procedures.
- Communication: refers to processes through which changes in policies and procedures are communicated to staff, as well as how staff communicate feedback on such policies and procedures.
- Team: describes the importance of social support and encouragement received from colleagues, which the organization can promote by developing strong teams.
* Recommendations are listed from highest to lowest frequency based on our data.
Formal organization supports
- Acknowledge adverse mental health outcomes are an occupational hazard for healthcare work and prioritize employee mental health as an organizational responsibility
- Commit to building a trauma-informed organization
- Take visible action to protect employees’ physical safety
- Promote mental health through education and acknowledging the stressors involved in providing healthcare
- Build team trust and support to foster a team-focused sense of identity and belonging
- Provide organizational support and resources to foster strong teams