Last updated: March 7, 2023
Interpretation and definitions
- Business, for the purpose of CCPA/CPRA, refers to the Company as the legal entity that collects Consumers’ personal information and determines the purposes and means of the processing of Consumers’ personal information, or on behalf of which such information is collected and that alone, or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of consumers’ personal information, that does business in the State of California.
- CCPA/CPRA refers to California Consumer Privacy Act (the “CCPA”) as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (the “CPRA”).
- GDPR refers to EU General Data Protection Regulation.
- Please note: We choose to abide by these laws from California and Europe because they are the most strict. We follow them to ensure that we are handling your information responsibly.
- Company (referred to as either “the Company”, “We”, “Us” or “Our” in this Agreement) refers to The Trauma & Recovery Research Unit, McMaster University, 100 West 5th Street Hamilton, ON, L9C 0E3, Canada.
- Project refers to Healthcare Salute: Thank You for Your Service, which has been created by McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences, specifically the Trauma & Recovery Research Unit.
- Personal Data is any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual.
- Service refers to this website.
- Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
Collecting and using Your Personal Data
Types of Data collected
Usage Data is collected automatically when using the Service.
Usage Data may include information such as Your Device’s Internet Protocol address (e.g., IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that You visit, the time and date of Your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers, and other diagnostic data.
When You access the Service by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device You use, Your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of Your mobile device, Your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser You use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may also collect information that Your browser sends whenever You visit our Service or when You access the Service by or through a mobile device.
Tracking technologies and Cookies
- Web Beacons. Certain sections of our Service and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a certain section and verifying system and server integrity).
Detailed information on the processing of Your Usage Data
The Service Providers We use may have access to your usage data. These third-party vendors collect, store, use, process, and transfer information about your activity on our website in accordance with their own Privacy Policies.
We may use third-party Service providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: policies.google.com/privacy
We may use Your Personal Data to contact You with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to You. You may opt-out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from Us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email We send or by contacting Us.
We may use Email Marketing Service Providers to manage and send emails to You.
Mailchimp is an email marketing sending service provided by The Rocket Science Group LLC.
Usage, performance, and miscellaneous
We may use third-party Service Providers to provide better improvement of our Service.
Your GDPR privacy rights
The Company undertakes to respect the confidentiality of Your Personal Data and to guarantee You can exercise Your rights.
- Request access to Your Personal Data. The right to access, update or delete the information We have on You. Whenever made possible, you can access, update or request deletion of Your Personal Data directly within Your account settings section. If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact Us to assist You. This also enables You to receive a copy of the Personal Data We hold about You.
- Request correction of the Personal Data that We hold about You. You have the right to have any incomplete or inaccurate information We hold about You corrected.
- Object to processing of Your Personal Data. This right exists where We are relying on a legitimate interest as the legal basis for Our processing and there is something about Your particular situation, which makes You want to object to our processing of Your Personal Data on this ground. You also have the right to object where We are processing Your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes.
- Request erasure of Your Personal Data. You have the right to ask Us to delete or remove Personal Data when there is no good reason for Us to continue processing it.
- Request the transfer of Your Personal Data. We will provide to You, or to a third-party You have chosen, Your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Please note that this right only applies to automated information which You initially provided consent for Us to use or where We used the information to perform a contract with You.
- Withdraw Your consent. You have the right to withdraw Your consent on using your Personal Data. If You withdraw Your consent, We may not be able to provide You with access to certain specific functionalities of the Service.
Your California privacy rights
The CCPA/CPRA provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. If You are a resident of California, You have the following rights:
- The right to notice. You have the right to be notified which categories of Personal Data are being collected and the purposes for which the Personal Data is being used.
- The right to know/access. Under CCPA/CPRA, You have the right to request that We disclose information to You about Our collection, use, sale, disclosure for business purposes and share of personal information.
- The right to say no to the sale or sharing of Personal Data (opt-out). You have the right to direct Us to not sell Your personal information. To submit an opt-out request, please see the “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” section or contact Us.
- The right to correct Personal Data. You have the right to correct or rectify any inaccurate personal information about You that We collected. Once We receive and confirm Your request, We will use commercially reasonable efforts to correct (and direct our Service Providers to correct) Your personal information, unless an exception applies.
- The right to limit use and disclosure of sensitive Personal Data. You have the right to request to limit the use or disclosure of certain sensitive personal information We collected about You, unless an exception applies. To submit, please see the “Limit the Use or Disclosure of My Sensitive Personal Information” section or contact Us.
- The right to delete Personal Data. You have the right to request the deletion of Your Personal Data under certain circumstances, subject to certain exceptions. Once We receive and confirm Your request, We will delete (and direct Our Service Providers to delete) Your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
- The right not to be discriminated against. You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of Your consumer’s rights, including by:
- Denying goods or services to You
- Charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties
- Providing a different level or quality of goods or services to You
- Suggesting that You will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services
In order to exercise any of Your rights under the CCPA/CPRA, and if You are a California resident, You can contact Us by email using email@example.com.
Links to other websites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party sites or services.